Tue, 22/06/2021 - 10:10
Scientific Conference on Climate Change in the Caspian Sea Region
The "Scientific Conference on Climate Change in the Caspian Sea Region” will be held virtually from 27 to 28 October 2021 and is organized under the auspices of the Coordinating Committee on Hydrometeorology and Pollution Monitoring of the Caspian Sea (CASPCOM) and the Interim Secretariat of the Framework Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the Caspian Sea (Tehran Convention).
The key objectives of the Conference are to:
1) Collect and discuss recent findings related to climate change and its consequences for the Caspian Sea region;
2) Identify key research and knowledge gaps related to climate change;
3) Inspire global and regional research that will lead to peer-reviewed publications and scientific reports;
4) Stimulate global awareness among stakeholders of climate change in the Caspian Sea region;
5) Promote and support improved identification of current and future predictable climate change effects on coastal economies, populations and the natural resources of the Caspian Sea and its basin.
The Conference outcomes are anticipated to support the Caspian Governments, global stakeholders as well as other Caspian actors to take informed decisions in addressing climate change in the Caspian Sea region through adapting and building resilience to climate change towards the implementation of the Paris Agreement on climate change and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The event will also support the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development.
The Conference will be organized around 4 thematic focus areas relevant to the Caspian context:
1) Climate of the Caspian Sea region and its changes in the 21st century.
2) The Caspian Sea level change: analysis, modeling, and long-term projection.
3) The effects of climate change on the ecosystem and biodiversity of the Caspian Sea.
4) Economic consequences of climate change and adaptation measures: building resilience in the Caspian Sea region.
Participants are requested to prepare concise and informative abstracts focussing on the Conference objectives and introduce the methodology and results of their work.
Based on the abstract, the Organizing Committee will decide on the acceptance to the Conference.
The Organizing Committee will consist of representatives of the Tehran Convention Secretariat, CASPCOM and one representative (a researcher) from each Caspian country nominated by the Ministries responsible for environmental protection.
Short papers (extended abstracts) will be published in the Conference Proceedings, which will be listed in the Russian Science Citation Index and assigned with an ISBN.
Opening of the Conference registration: 22 June 2021
Abstract submission deadline: 12 August 2021 (Caspian Sea Day)
Confirmation of abstract acceptance: 15 September 2021
Conference Climate Change in the Caspian Sea Region: 27-28 October 2021
Publication of the Conference Proceedings: 15 December 2021
The Conference working languages are Russian and English.
The Conference will be held online.
No registration fee.
Please submit the completed registration form and abstracts to: Caspian2021@yandex.ru
The registration form, the abstract requirements and the draft programme can be found below.